Chris Walsh (chris_walsh) wrote,
Chris Walsh

I can't work in my sleep...

I'm sure I didn't sound happy to be awakened by the phone. Because I wasn't.

Even on weekend mornings, I'm not usually zonked out and in bed at 8:00. I also don't usually get calls at that time, either (the curse and sometimes blessing of dial-up*, heh). I tend to ease -- no, eeeeeeeeeeease -- into my weekend days.

For a good reason, I didn't yesterday. Because Saturday morning, the bindery where I've been temping needed someone on really short notice.

But again, I was NOT happy to be awakened that way. Later I sent an apology email to the temp agency rep who called me -- meaning she was up and functional earlier on Saturday morning than I was -- and I added that the sudden work day worked out. And I could use the hours.

Why was I in bed that (relatively for me) late? I'd been out Friday night at the Bagdad Theatre and Pub not only for the Cort and Fatboy Midnight Movie -- Poltergeist (1982), which holds up REALLY well and worked the audience like an energetic masseuse -- but, unusual for me, I stayed out longer instead of going straight home. I visited with friends in the Backstage, the bar space that's literally behind the screen (well, the wall the screen is in) at the Bagdad. Said friends had offered me drinks. I wasn't in the mood to drink, I was in the mood to visit, so I said No, thank you. And the friends I was hanging around with are eminently visitable. Neat, sometimes crazy stuff spilled from our heads. (Three words: Jimmy Stewart, Pimp. Yes, I know how far down The Wrong Hole that idea falls.) Had I had any drink stronger than a cola, I probably would've felt even more wrecked Saturday morning. And I probably wouldn't have been able to muster myself to go to the job.

If I couldn't have driven, either, I would have had less incentive to get there; weekend bus trips can take extra-long. But the car worked out: Getting up, showered, dressed, into the car, over to a McDonald's (hey, it's fast and cheap and has the flavored calories) then over to the bindery was a manageable trip. I was at work at 9:30, 90 minutes after I'd been awakened by the call, and was able to work until shift-end at 3:00. As a thank-you for accommodating the job, the supervisor who'd called me in signed me out for a full shift, 7.5 hours, meaning that strictly speaking I was earning money between 7 and 8, asleep in bed. And earning money while headed there. Nice to get paid for your commute!

Luckily, the particular work I did yesterday was not very strenuous; had it been, I might not have lasted until 3:00. I knew that had I not been able to finish the shift, I had the option to pull the ripcord; and since the job had called me in, I would've gotten a minimum of four hours paid work. But I did more than that. (It's also not particularly exciting work, so no real point describing it here, but hey, it was a chance to think...)

And I'm nowhere near the most-difficult-to-wake-up person I know. My cousin Amy/Max/"Maximy" (as I call her) Walsh has been known to HIT people who try to wake her up. She's strong. You don't want to be near those arms in those situations.

* Seriously, I am still on dial-up.

  • A little truth, at the moment:

    I'm missing my job and I'm missing the airport.

  • A dinner that didn't happen, a thank-you that did

    Before the before times came to be known as "the Before Times," I was going to go to a thank-you dinner. At work. At Portland International Airport,…

  • Pants

    There. Showered and dressed. Later, I'll eat, then go walking. Normally this would've been a work day. Which would have meant a uniform: a blue…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.