Chris Walsh (chris_walsh) wrote,
Chris Walsh

Halloween weekend, and proof I'd be a lousy junkie

Oh, yes, there was a weekend just now, wasn't there?

Mine got off to the non-riproaring start of emergency grocery-shopping at the Fred Meyer on the way home from work Friday night. With my busy and sick weekend before that, and a busy, tiring week following it, I was almost to the point of just heating up and eating pasta sauce for breakfast, lunch and dinner, so: GET AT LEAST SOMETHING.

Saturday, I got to be social for Halloween. I joined my friend Riona, who I met through Portland's Firefly fandom and got to know through Geek Trivia, at her dad's house: this was their ninth year dressing up the porch for trick-or-treaters. She was a witch hiding in a coffin, he was Lurch, complete with makeup. I don't have scary clothes (I barely have enough daily clothes), so they loaned me a trench coat and a skull mask. A decent number of kids showed up, and I even successfully startled (maybe even scared!) a few of them. It's been YEARS since I've given out candy for Halloween; this was a nice change of pace. After we stopped giving out candy, Riona's dad treated us to fried ice cream at a nearby location of The Original Taco House. It's probably been DECADES since I'd had fried ice cream, so it was like a taste of my childhood. I should have gotten a Shirley Temple to taste more of it.

WARNING! The next paragraph mentions needles:

Sunday had a frustrating thing: I'd booked a platelets donation at the Red Cross that afternoon, but I most likely hadn't had enough water beforehand, and we had trouble getting the first of the veins to accept a needle. My tech told me that the vein would not work for that day's draw, and suggested poking another part of my arm, but I nixed doing a donation that day. I was worried that the next two pokes -- platelets are taken out through one tube, sent through a machine then returned through another tube, and we didn't have the return tube inserted yet, let alone the draw tube -- would also go badly. OK, so I'll want to book another, I hope successful, attempt soon. I still took myself afterwards to a special dinner, at a restaurant where a friend cooks so I was able to say hi to her. Then MOAR grocery shopping, because Sunday was the best time to get more. I had to remind myself once that it was earlier than it felt, due to the Daylight Savings Time change. Let's see how well I adjust this time.

  • Sports rambling (😀)

    I just happily kicked on my bed after the Portland Timbers pulled off a come-from-behind 2-1 victory against Sporting Kansas City. Just the team…

  • Steps

    I walked over four miles Friday. (I didn't walk nearly that far Saturday or today, because I didn't leave the house.) The skies were bright and the…

  • What's out there.

    Wednesday was an out-and-about day. Several hours driving, some errands, many sights, and many thoughts. This entry won't be elegant about it —…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.