Chris Walsh (chris_walsh) wrote,
Chris Walsh

My employer got its money's worth out of me

Spending 16 hours of one day in and out of cars is...a feat.

I did it.

An emergency double-shift happened Sunday, as around late morning my main replacement called in sick and apparently it's harder to book people to work Sundays than it is on other days, so, I stayed. 7:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m., two lunches, a total of five breaks, and work, work, work...though I had some reprieves when it wasn't too busy and I could pause.

I did the extra-long work shift carefully because there's a lot of responsibility to driving cars, especially in as busy a place as Portland International Airport. (So it stuck out to me even more, seeing two different people do Really Dumb and Thoughtless Things as pedestrians at the airport yesterday: one guy walking in the inner lane of the main road away from the terminal, with almost no room to walk (certainly no sidewalk), his back to traffic and him ON HIS F'ING CELL PHONE, and later another person walking away from the north end of the terminal, against traffic, literally ten feet away from the walking/biking path he could have walked on safely but HE WAS ON THE ROAD AND AT THE MERCY OF TRAFFIC. And he probably didn't even see that walkway, due to intervening lanes and barriers, but DID HE EVEN LOOK FOR A SAFE WAY TO WALK. Argh.) I was careful. That's important.

Lesson learned, or at least relearned: I won't get into the specifics why, but when I'm both really tired and really cold, as I was at times last night, my humor reserves drop almost to nothing. Things, I am happy to say, are funny again.

When my Sunday double shift ended, I splurged on a taxi to get home as quickly as possible. I didn't want to take the time late-night TriMet would have required. (And before you ask, I don't use Uber or Lyft, and I have my reasons why.) I tipped the driver well.

I slept hard; I woke up this morning harder (MORE DIFFICULTLY, I MEAN). Today was a regular work day, so I still needed to be at the airport by 7:00 a.m. My getting out of bed, um, er, thirty minutes late this morning didn't help, but I managed to get out of the house and on my way to the bus stop at my regular time. I successfully worked a regular shift, and I was able to work more slowly when I needed to. Then I rested on the MAX part of the way home. I have taken it easy tonight.

I'd wondered if the pay period we just began (Saturday, Jan. 5th to Friday, Jan. 18th) would be a baseline, 80-hour workweek. Um, no, based on Sunday's overtime and whether or not I work any other extra hours...
Tags: work

  • A little truth, at the moment:

    I'm missing my job and I'm missing the airport.

  • A dinner that didn't happen, a thank-you that did

    Before the before times came to be known as "the Before Times," I was going to go to a thank-you dinner. At work. At Portland International Airport,…

  • Pants

    There. Showered and dressed. Later, I'll eat, then go walking. Normally this would've been a work day. Which would have meant a uniform: a blue…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.