Chris Walsh (chris_walsh) wrote,
Chris Walsh

A different slice of work life

Earlier this week, I learned work needed people on Friday, normally a day off for me. I got the OK to do a shift Friday that I hadn't done before, swing shift.

I've worked late several times. More likely I've stayed two to four hours past my usual 3:30 p.m. shift end; occasionally I've done a double shift, including a Sunday where I finished then sprang for a cab home because I still needed to be ready for work at 7 a.m. Monday; but this was the first time I reported to work at 3:00 p.m. and left at 11:30 p.m. (not a.m., because sleep is needed).

I didn't plan to go without caffeine for that shift, but I inadvertently did, which is a relief. I had had tea before heading to work, though, as a caffeine base, shall I say.

Work in the afternoon-evening is more or less like my regular shift (including me giving directions to poeople who'd gotten lost), but at a certain point, we don't get customers dropping off vehicles any more for the night. 8 p.m. to just before 4:00 a.m. is a dead time for that, though often there's a rush between 4:00 and 5:00. I still haven't worked that shift; I've mostly avoided graveyard shift work for most of my adult post-college life.

The main focus in swing is getting customers' vehicles down to the roadway before their flights arrive, then helping those customers load into their cars. For me last night that included taking our big flat luggage cart down to baggage claim, meeting a customer there, then helping them load a lot of bags onto the cart so we could wheel it all to the car. We might not have had the time to do this during day shift, but we had the time this time.

Eventually, and this is more true of graveyard shift, you simply need to wait for something to do. (Graveyard deals with this via "movements": moving cars between the main valet parking cage in the garage and the Overflow lot. Often they're moving cars that have been at Overflow for several days but which we want closer at hand since the customer's return date is coming up.) So. The usual swing shift people and I had time to visit, we had time to consolidate cars that were parked too far apart on the roadway, and we had time for [redacted]...kidding, that implies something illicit. Also I made our on-duty supervisor almost fall out of her chair laughing, though no I won't share what I said there. Not everything makes it into this blog.

I drove home after 11:30, having gotten an extra 8 hours that'll be on the next paycheck. Though since it had gotten rainy by that night, I kind of wished I'd splurged and parked in one of the garages next to the terminal instead of in Employee Parking, which is a shuttle bus-ride away (and is a 50-minute walk for me; I checked a week ago). It would have been pricey, but maybe worth it for getting the heck home quickly.

Further mea culpa: I messed myself up after getting home. Even with having Saturday (today) off, I should have gotten to sleep earlier than I did. What I did instead was, after a bit I sat down on my bed figuring I'd wind down...and I fell asleep anyway, in my clothes and on top of my sheets. I woke up at 3:30 a.m., night stand light still on, and I was both tired and cold. Oops. No surprise, especially aince I tend to do this on my weekends anyway, I've been taking it easy.

Now onto other stuff. Some of it will be blog-worthy...
Tags: work

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.