Chris Walsh (chris_walsh) wrote,
Chris Walsh

Seattle, part two

This trip has been good. This trip has been needed.

I'm on Amy/Max/Goose/"Maximy's" computer this morning. The few people left at the house post-party -- me, my cousin, her girlfriend, and the roommate -- are at different stages of almost-awake. I've walked outside with two of the house's pets; doesn't look like any of them have needed to go to the bathroom yet. The cold outside is manageable; I went out first in my nightwear (sweats and a T-shirt), then with a large blanket hanging, wrapped awkwardly and out of proportion, around me. But it kept me warm.

The party was a blast. We celebrated both Maximy's birthday and the birthday of her friend Angie, in a house kept very warm and with a kettle perpetually boiling to keep things more humid and summerlike. Max and Angie REALLY like being warm. They'd decided against renting a hot tub, as not enough people had confirmed they could come for the expense to be coverable. But there was plenty of entertainment: a friend DJ'd, we all did lots of talking, I sang all of the lyrics to "Baby Got Back"...

Getting here was a challenge. I woke up yesterday, unwillingly, around 3:30 a.m., and could not reach sleep again. I felt better once I got showered and dressed. First stop in my car was a side trip to my parents in Dundee; that was the best time for me to visit them, which I'd wanted to do since Grandma died. We talked for about half an hour -- Grandma things, work things -- then I hit the road, stopping at Music Millennium for some music I'd meant to get and at Burgerville for a quick lunch. I'd planned to stop at a family house in Olympia, Wash., which was good: I could feel my brain start to misfire from being tired. I needed a rest stop. Uncle Mike and Aunt Nancy (Maximy's parents) provided one. I chatted with them, had lunch (a spicy baked-potato-and-sausage soup), and then took about 30 minutes of shut-eye. That revived me enough for the last leg, from Olympia to Seattle. I wound up getting two more naps yesterday, before the party and at its tail end, or I'd've crashed bodily onto the floor and started snoring droolingly. Not a lovely sight (though I'm sure it would've looked amusing).

Now, it's a relaxing morning. I've pulled from Max's shelves the novel Wicked, and am a few pages into it (stopping, of course, to write this entry: I'm not THAT good a multitasker!)

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.